June 14, 2021
Understanding How Information Is Collected:
Information You May Choose to Provide to Us
We may collect information, including personal information, from you if you choose to provide that information. For example, you may provide us with your name and contact information (such as an email address), date of birth, or other details of that nature, when you sign up for our newsletters, participate in contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions on the Sites, or apply for a job with Dotdash.
You also may choose to provide personal information about yourself when you participate in surveys, forums or discussions, or other Interactive Services on the Sites. Please be aware that information you post may be viewed or captured by anyone who visits the Sites, therefore you should avoid posting sensitive or personal information that you would not want to be available to the public.
Information That Is Automatically Collected
When you access the Sites, we and our third-party partners and service providers may automatically collect certain information from your device or web-browser about your visit using tools such as cookies, web beacons, and other data collecting and tracking technologies, to help us understand how our users use the Sites and to target advertising messages to you. We and our third-party partners and service providers may also collect and track information about your online activities over time and across different websites, applications, and devices using certain data matching techniques. The information collected automatically when you visit the Sites may include your
IP address, characteristics of your operating system, information about your browser and system settings, data about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Sites, unique device identifiers, clickstream data (which shows the page-by-page path you take as you browse the Sites), and other information that generally is not considered personally identifiable.
Cookies and Tracking Technologies
Web beacons are small files that link web pages to particular web servers and their
cookies, and they may be used for a variety of purposes, such as counting the number of visitors to the Sites, analyzing how users navigate around the Sites, assessing how many emails that we send are actually opened and which articles or links are viewed by visitors.
We also use third-party web analytics services, such as Google Analytics, on the Sites to provide us with statistics and other information about visitors to the Sites. Click here to learn more about Google Analytics and how you may opt out.
Finally, companies that provide certain third-party apps, tools, widgets, and plug-ins that may appear on the Sites (for example, Facebook “Like” or “Share” buttons), also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information collection is subject to the privacy policies or notices of those third parties.
“Do Not Track” Signals. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “do not track” signal to websites and online services you visit. At this time
there is no consensus among industry participants as to the meaning of “do not track” in this context. Like many other websites, the Sites are not configured to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers. Click here to learn more about “do not track” signals.
Information We Obtain From Other Sources
We may supplement the information we collect with information from third-party partners and service providers, including data brokers, customer acquisition vendors, and other companies that collect contact and consumer information such as demographic and interest data, in order to learn more about our users, better tailor the content and offers we make available to you, and for other lawful business purposes. We may combine the information we receive from those other (online and offline) sources with information we collect through the Sites.
Social Network and Platform Integration
How We May Use Information We Collect
We, and our third-party partners and service providers, may use the information gathered on the Sites for various purposes, including the purposes listed
below. For example, if you were to contact us with a question and provide your email address, we would use the email address you provided to respond to your inquiry. In addition, we use information we collect from you and through the Sites to:
- Provide information, products and services you request (such as when you sign up to receive our email newsletters) or that we otherwise believe would interest you, including promotional offers from us and third party partners;
- Respond to requests, questions, complaints, and comments, and provide other types of user support and customer care;
- Direct you to portions of the Sites or other third-party websites or services, that we
believe may interest you;
- Customize content, features, advertisements or other marketing messages we and third
parties show you, on the Sites and elsewhere online;
- Process and reply to applications for employment with Dotdash;
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, events, programs, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- Carry out, evaluate, and improve our business (which may include without limitation developing new features for the Sites; analyzing and enhancing the user experience on the Sites; assessing the effectiveness of our marketing and
advertising; and managing our communications);
- Perform data analytics regarding usage of the Sites (including market and customer research, trend analysis, and financial analysis);
- Guard against, identify, and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims, and
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, law enforcement requests, and our company policies; and
- For other purposes that are disclosed at the time you provide your information,
with your consent.
How We May Share Information
Our agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers may have access to information we collect through the Sites to carry out work on our behalf. In addition, certain service providers may collect or access information through the Sites to enable or provide services, tools, or other features available on the Sites. We also may share information:
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes;
- With third parties for marketing purposes, including social media networks, data management platforms, and other advertising technology providers; for example, we may match your email address with third parties with whom you have also consented to share your email address and use such match to deliver custom offers or emails to you on the Sites and elsewhere online;
- With third parties who provide services on our behalf to help with our business activities such as commenting and other site functionality. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us, pursuant to written instructions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements, and are not allowed to use PI they receive from us for any other purpose
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena);
- In response to requests from government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or other governmental bodies, as well as to meet national security requirements;.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity, or to protect and defend our legal rights or property.
- With advertisers and other partners to inform them about the nature of our user base;
- In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including a reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation). In such an event, we will seek to provide you with commercially reasonable notice, e.g., via email and/or notice on our website, of any change in ownership, incompatible new uses of your personal information, and choices you may have regarding your personal information; and
- With your consent or at your discretion.
Your Privacy Choices
Unsubscribe from emails. To unsubscribe from a particular newsletter, click the
“unsubscribe” link at the bottom of that email newsletter. If you would like to
globally opt-out from all email campaigns, please send an email to email@example.com with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. When we send newsletters to subscribers we may allow advertisers or partners to include messages in
those newsletters, or we may send dedicated newsletters and marketing messages
on behalf of those advertisers or partners. We may disclose your opt-out choices to third parties so that they can honor your preferences in accordance with applicable laws.
Blocking cookies. Certain browsers may be configured to notify you when you receive cookies, or allow you to restrict or disable certain cookies. If you choose to
Disabling local shared objects.
Disabling local shared objects. We may use other kinds of local storage that function similarly, but are stored in different parts of your computer from ordinary browser cookies. Your browser may allow you to disable its HTML5 local storage or delete information contained in its HTML5 local storage. Click here for details about deleting information contained in “local shared objects” or adjusting related preferences.
Please note that you will continue to see advertisements, but such advertisements will no longer be tailored to your interests. For more information about third-party ad networks and services that use these technologies, you can visit www.aboutads.info and click here to opt out or to learn more about your options. You also may visit the NAI’s site for additional options on how to opt out of interest-based advertising.
User Access and Choice
We respect your control over your information and, upon request, we will seek to confirm your identity and whether we hold or are processing information that we have collected from you. You also have the right to amend or update inaccurate or incomplete personal information, request deletion of your personal information, or request that we no longer use it. Under certain circumstances we will not be able to fulfill your request, such as if it interferes with our regulatory obligations, affects legal
matters, we cannot verify your identity, or it involves disproportionate cost or effort, but in any event we will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe and provide you an explanation. In order to make such a request of us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that for personal information about you that we have
obtained or received for processing on behalf of a separate, unaffiliated
entity–which determined the means and purposes of processing, all such
requests should be made to that entity directly. We will honor and support any
instructions they provide us with respect to your personal information.
We will retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfill the
purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
How We Protect Personal Information.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. However, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted online. You use the Sites and provide us with information at your own discretion and risk. If you have questions about the security of your personal information, or if you have reason to believe that the personal information that we hold about you is no longer secure,
please contact us immediately as described in this Privacy Notice.
Links From The Sites to Other Websites
Surveys, Quizzes and Other Features
The Sites are intended for a general audience and are not designed or intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete any such information.
Users Outside the United States
Our Notice to California Residents
Subject to certain limits, under California law California residents may ask us to provide them with a list of the categories of personal information that we have disclosed to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year, as well as the identity of those third parties. California residents may contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section below to make a request for this information.
How to Contact Us
If you have questions about this policy or about our privacy practices, you may contact us by emailing email@example.com. If you are a California resident inquiring about your California privacy rights, please include “California privacy rights request” in the subject line of your email.
You may also write to:
28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10005
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.