Updated May 2, 2017
- 1. Overview
- “Sites” or “Dotdash” shall include any information or services made available by Dotdash, regardless of the medium, and shall include, without limitation any affiliated websites, mobile applications, videos, products and applications we make available. We reserve the right at any time, and from time to time, to modify, suspend or discontinue (temporarily or permanently) the Sites, or any part of the Sites, with or without notice.
- The Sites are not intended for users under 13 years of age. If you are under 13, do not use the Sites and do not provide us with any personal information.
- We make no claims that the Sites or any Sites’ content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to the Sites may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Sites from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws and regulations.
- 2. Disclaimer
The information available through the Sites is provided solely for informational purposes on an “as is” basis at user’s sole risk. Dotdash makes no guarantees as to the accurateness, quality, or completeness of the information and Dotdash shall not be responsible or liable for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information or for any user’s reliance on the information. Users are solely responsible for verifying the information as being appropriate for user’s personal use.
- 5. Dotdash Intellectual Property
Your Limited License to our Intellectual Property
Dotdash Trademarks and Logos
The terms Dotdash, www.dotdash.com, and other Dotdash trademarks and services marks, and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans, are trademarks of Dotdash or its affiliates or licensors. You may not use such marks without the prior written permission of Dotdash. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans on the Sites are the trademarks of their respective owners.
- 6. Reliance on Information on Site
We have no obligation to, and you should not expect us to, review content on our Sites, including User Contributions (defined below) or contributions by our independent contributors.
About our Contributors
Dotdash seeks out content providers in particular subject matters as independent contractor contributors to the Sites. Dotdash does not represent or guarantee that any contributor has achieved any particular level of expertise or knowledge or has any specific qualifications or credentials, without limitation, as to the subject matter to which their contributions relate. To the extent we refer to each of these contributors as an expert on the Sites, you must understand that we rely on the information they provide us and we are not obligated to independently verify or attempt to confirm any information they provide, nor their qualifications or credentials. Dotdash is also not obligated to monitor or independently research or verify any content they contribute. Contributors, even if characterized as an expert, are not employees of Dotdash or its affiliates, and Dotdash cannot and does not represent or warrant the accuracy, completeness or truthfulness of the qualifications or credentials of any contributor, nor of any other users of the Sites.
Please do not rely on our Sites’ content, including User Contributions and content from our independent contractor contributors. Content is provided for general information purposes only and can never take into account your unique, personal circumstances and needs. You acknowledge and agree that any reliance or actions you take in violation of your agreement with us shall be at your sole and exclusive risk and Dotdash shall have no responsibility or liability to you whatsoever. You also acknowledge and agree that communications on or through our Sites, whether with content providers or other users, are at your own risk and are not covered by any privilege or confidentiality obligation that might apply if you were to obtain your own professional advice.
- 7. Prohibited Uses of the Sites
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation.
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail”, “chain letter” or “spam” or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate Dotdash, a Dotdash employee, another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using email addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing).
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Sites, or which, as determined by us, may harm Dotdash or users of the Sites or expose them to liability.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- “Scrape” or disaggregate data from the Sites (whether by manual or automated means) for any commercial, marketing, or data compiling or enhancing purpose.
- Introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material or mechanism which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the Sites, the server on which the Sites is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to the Sites.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Sites.
- 8. Content That You Make Available on the Site
The Sites may contain message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, review and ratings sections, bulletin boards and other interactive features (collectively, “Interactive Services”) that allow users to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other persons (hereinafter, “post”) comments, content or other materials (collectively, “User Contributions”) on or through the Sites.
If you voluntarily disclose personal information (e.g., user name, email address) on the Sites, such as on a forum, chat room or on any other user or member-generated pages, that information can be viewed in search engines, collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited contact from other parties. We strongly advise that you not post any personal or other sensitive information on our Sites.
Any User Contribution you post to the Sites will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. By providing any User Contribution on the Sites, you grant us and our affiliates and service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors and assigns the perpetual right to use, reproduce, modify, perform, display, distribute and otherwise disclose to third parties any such material for any purpose.
You represent and warrant that:
- You own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant the license granted above to us and our affiliates and service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors and assigns.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, and you, not the Company, have full responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy and appropriateness. We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions posted by you or any other user of the Sites.
Monitoring and Enforcement; Termination
We have the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason in our sole discretion.
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Sites.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information related to anyone posting any materials on or through the Sites. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE COMPANY AND ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS, LICENSEES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER THE COMPANY, SUCH PARTIES OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
We cannot and do not undertake to review all material before it is posted on the Sites, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
These content standards apply to any and all User Contributions and use of Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, harass, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Promote commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if that is not the case.
- 9. Your Indemnification of Us
- 10. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
- 11. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER
YOUR USE OF THE SITES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEITHER, DOTDASH OR ABOUT, INC. NOR ANY OF ITS SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES OR LICENSORS (INCLUDING OUR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR CONTRIBUTORS) SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY LOSS OR INJURY OR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR SIMILAR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SITES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SITES OR ARISING OUT OF ANY ACTION TAKEN IN RESPONSE TO OR AS A RESULT OF ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SITES. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AGAINST DOTDASH, ABOUT, INC. AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AND LICENSORS (INCLUDING OUR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR CONTRIBUTORS) ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SITES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THEREON.
- 12. Third-Party Links, Advertisements, Websites and Content
We do not review or monitor any websites, advertisements, or other media linked to or available through the Sites and are not responsible for the content of any such third-party advertisements or linked websites. Prior to purchasing any third-party products or services described on the Sites, you are advised to verify pricing, product quality and other information necessary to make an informed purchase. Neither Dotdash nor its parent or any of its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, agents, representatives or licensors shall have any liability arising from your purchases of third-party products or services based upon the information provided on the Sites, and we shall not receive or review complaints regarding such purchases.
- 13. Disputes
- 14. Waiver and Severability
- 15. Entire Agreement
- 16. DMCA Policy
Dotdash deals with copyright infringement in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). You may not post, upload, or otherwise place any content or information on the Sites that belongs to a third party, unless you have the legal right to do so. If you believe in good faith that your copyrighted work has been reproduced on our Sites without authorization in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify our designated copyright agent either by mail to Copyright Agent (Legal), About, Inc., 1500 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10036 or in an email to SafeHarborAgent@About.Com. This contact information is only for suspected copyright infringement. Please include the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple works on the Sites, a representative list of such works.
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us to locate that material, such as the precise URL (web page) that it appeared on, along with any copies you have of that web page.
- Adequate information by which we can contact you (including your name, postal address, telephone number and email address).
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law.
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the written notice is accurate and that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
- Please be aware that if you knowingly materially misrepresent that material or activity on the Sites is infringing your copyright, you may be held liable for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees).
It is the policy of Dotdash to disable the accounts of users who repeatedly post infringing material on the Sites.
- 17. Patent Info
Dotdash’s systems are covered by one or more of the following patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 5,918,010
- U.S. Patent No. 6,081,788
- U.S. Patent No. 6,157,926
- U.S. Patent No. 6,195,681
- U.S. Patent No. 6,226,648
- U.S. Patent No. 6,336,132
- U.S. Patent No. 8,719,333
- Australian Patent No. 729,891
- Other Patents Pending.
- 18. How to Contact Us
The Sites are owned and operated by About, Inc., located at 1500 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10036.
All other feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the Sites should be directed to: contact@Dotdash.com.
Requests to use and reproduce content published on Dotdash should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for visiting Dotdash.
May 2, 2017
Understanding How Information Is Collected:
Information You May Choose to Provide to Us
We may collect information, including personally identifiable information, from you if you choose to provide that information. For example, you may provide us with your name and contact information (such as an email address), date of birth, or other details of that nature, when you sign up for our newsletters, participate in contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions on the Sites, or apply for a job with Dotdash.
You also may choose to provide personally identifiable information about yourself when you participate in surveys, forums or discussions, or other Interactive Services on the Sites. Please be aware that information you post may be viewed or captured by anyone who visits the Sites, therefore you should avoid posting sensitive or personal information that you would not want to be available to the public.
Information That Is Automatically Collected
When you access the Sites, we and our third-party partners and service providers may automatically collect certain information from your device or web-browser about your visit using tools such as cookies, web beacons, and other data collecting and tracking technologies, to help us understand how our users use the Sites and to target advertising messages to you. We and our third-party partners and service providers may also collect and track information about your online activities over time and across different websites, applications, and devices using certain data matching techniques. The information collected automatically when you visit the Sites may include your IP address, characteristics of your operating system, information about your browser and system settings, data about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Sites, unique device identifiers, clickstream data (which shows the page-by-page path you take as you browse the Sites), and other information that generally is not considered personally identifiable.
Cookies and Tracking Technologies
To manage our automatic data collection, we, and our third-party partners and service providers, may place tags (often referred to as “web beacons” or “pixel tags”) and other tracking mechanisms on pages on the Sites, in videos, or in emails we send to you. Web beacons are small files that link web pages to particular web servers and their cookies, and they may be used for a variety of purposes, such as counting the number of visitors to the Sites, analyzing how users navigate around the Sites, assessing how many emails that we send are actually opened and which articles or links are viewed by visitors.
We also use third-party web analytics services, such as Google Analytics, on the Sites to provide us with statistics and other information about visitors to the Sites. Click here to learn more about Google Analytics and how you may opt out.
Finally, companies that provide certain third-party apps, tools, widgets, and plug-ins that may appear on the Sites (for example, Facebook “Like” or “Share” buttons), also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information collection is subject to the privacy policies or notices of those third parties.
“Do Not Track” Signals. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “do not track” signal to websites and online services you visit. At this time there is no consensus among industry participants as to the meaning of “do not track” in this context. Like many other websites, the Sites are not configured to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers. Click here to learn more about “do not track” signals.
Information We Obtain From Other Sources
We may supplement the information we collect with information from third-party partners and service providers, including data brokers, customer acquisition vendors, and other companies that collect contact and consumer information such as demographic and interest data, in order to learn more about our users, better tailor the content and offers we make available to you, and for other lawful business purposes. We may combine the information we receive from those other (online and offline) sources with information we collect through the Sites.
Social Network and Platform Integration
How We May Use Information We Collect
We, and our third-party partners and service providers, may use the information gathered on the Sites for various purposes, including the purposes listed below. For example, if you were to contact us with a question and provide your email address, we would use the email address you provided to respond to your inquiry. In addition, we use information we collect from you and through the Sites to:
- Provide information, products and services you request (such as when you sign up to receive our email newsletters) or that we otherwise believe would interest you, including promotional offers from us and third party partners;
- Respond to requests, questions, complaints, and comments, and provide other types of user support and customer care;
- Direct you to portions of the Sites or other third-party websites or services, that we believe may interest you;
- Customize content, features, advertisements or other marketing messages we and third parties show you, on the Sites and elsewhere online;
- Process and reply to applications for employment with Dotdash;
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, events, programs, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- Carry out, evaluate, and improve our business (which may include without limitation developing new features for the Sites; analyzing and enhancing the user experience on the Sites; assessing the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising; and managing our communications);
- Perform data analytics regarding usage of the Sites (including market and customer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal information);
- Guard against, identify, and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims, and other liabilities;
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, law enforcement requests, and our company policies; and
- For other purposes that are disclosed at the time you provide your information, with your consent.
How We May Share Information
Our agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers may have access to information we collect through the Sites to carry out work on our behalf. In addition, certain service providers may collect or access information through the Sites to enable or provide services, tools, or other features available on the Sites. We also may share information:
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes;
- With third parties for marketing purposes, including social media networks, data management platforms, and other advertising technology providers; for example, we may match your email address with third parties with whom you have also consented to share your email address and use such match to deliver custom offers or emails to you on the Sites and elsewhere online;
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena);
- In response to requests from government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or other governmental bodies;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity, or to protect and defend our legal rights or property.
- With advertisers and other partners to inform them about the nature of our user base;
- In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including a reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation); and
- With your consent or at your discretion.
Your Privacy Choices
Unsubscribe from emails. To unsubscribe from a particular newsletter, click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of that email newsletter. If you would like to globally opt-out from all email campaigns, please send an email to email@example.com with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. When we send newsletters to subscribers we may allow advertisers or partners to include messages in those newsletters, or we may send dedicated newsletters and marketing messages on behalf of those advertisers or partners. We may disclose your opt-out choices to third parties so that they can honor your preferences in accordance with applicable laws.
Disabling local shared objects (“Flash cookies”). We may use other kinds of local storage that function similarly, but are stored in different parts of your computer from ordinary browser cookies, including Flash cookies placed on your device or web browser via the Adobe flash plug-in. Your browser may allow you to disable its HTML5 local storage or delete information contained in its HTML5 local storage. Click here for further details about deleting information contained in “local shared objects” or adjusting related preferences.
Options concerning third-party ad networks. For more information about third-party ad networks and services that use these technologies, you can visit www.aboutads.info and click here to opt out or to learn more about your options. You also may visit the NAI’s site for additional options on how to opt out of interest-based advertising.
How We Protect Personal Information.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. However, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted online. You use the Sites and provide us with information at your own discretion and risk.
Links From The Sites to Other Websites
Surveys, Quizzes and Other Features
The Sites are intended for a general audience and are not designed or intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete any such information.
Users Outside the United States
Our Notice to California Residents
Subject to certain limits, under California law California residents may ask us to provide them with a list of the categories of personal information that we have disclosed to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year, as well as the identity of those third parties. California residents may contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section below to make a request for this information.
How to Contact Us
If you have questions about this policy or about our privacy practices, you may contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a California resident inquiring about your California privacy rights, please include “California privacy rights request” in the subject line of your email.
You may also write to:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10036